Tuesday 5 June 2012

Studio lighting

Coming into this assignment I had a general understanding of how to manipulate light because of the mixed lighting photo's from my previous post. When I was told to properly light a studio shot, I thought it would be much easier that mixed lighting because of the complete control of the lights intensity and direction. 

I was wrong. After getting my models together I set up my camera and my tripod, then came the lights when I first made an attempt to light my subjects it was pretty bad (as seen bellow). For mr full control of the lighting actually made it harder for me to find the optimum positions of the lights




After quite a bit of experimentation I started to understand how the positioning of the lights would effect my image. I learned you can place it behind to almost kill all of the shadow's on the background of the subject, place it to the side for a half lit face, put it in front and to the side for a large almost looming shadow. You can also use multiple lights in different arrangements to mix or create new effects and effect combinations 


For my project I decided to try and let my subjects relax and act naturally to almost add a decisive moment feel to the photo's, I also always took their suggestions for different idea's to kind of help illustrate the nature of their relationship .This is how it turned out:







No comments:

Post a Comment