Wednesday 6 June 2012

Alternative process (part 2- Cyanotype)


The cyanotype process is very similar to the rayogram, except instead of photo paper we are (pretty much) using photosensitive green paint, we also have a larger selection as to what we are printing our photo on, and how much of the photo we plan on using. 

The difference is that I cant just flash an image under a enlarger to develop the green paint, to create a brilliant blue background. I thought this would prove to only be a minor obstacle in this process, witch proved not to be the case. The (sun) exposure for a cyanotype is usually about twenty minutes, witch is not like the 15 seconds I used for my rayogram. This long exposure means that you have to make sure your "negative" does not move while its in the sun, or your image will end up being out of focus (I tested this myself below), or you may make an accidental double exposure 

What happens when I sticky tacked my negative to my cyanotype median and find it face down in the ground 20 minutes later
For my cyanotype I wanted to build on my rayogram from part one to emphasize the message Im attempting to send with my rayogram. I had a very clear idea as to how I wanted the cyanotype process to affect my rayogram and what I wanted my final image to look like (witch I never managed to achieve). I was planning on making the border of my neuron "edgier", and creating a more noticeable contrast between the blown up neuron and the background.

 My first step was to make my rayogram into an acetate negative for my cyanotype. I made two different acetates to use for my negative the only difference between the two is the color fill of the blown up neuron, I did this to achieve the contrast (witch I never actually achieved).


In total I made three cyanotypes one very blurry one with a nice contrast between the neuron and the background, and two almost identical versions of the one below. The cyanotype I made after these two had even less contrast and a not so "edgey" border so I decided just to scrap it. Ultimately I really enjoyed the cyanotype process and regret not being able to perfect the image I was trying to make, (in the interest of time) and experiment just a little more with the alternative process'. My original intention was to take my rayogram and make into a cyanotype, and then to put it on a silk screen with the caption "tree of knowledge" and probably paste this absolutely everywhere I could. (this is an idea I have had for a long time)

No comments:

Post a Comment