Wednesday 6 June 2012

Painting with light

When we were first given the painting with light assignment I had millions of ideas for what I was going to do with this idea, and then we saw some examples after that all of my fantastical ideas were shot down because of one question, “How?”. Painting with light is a really interesting means of photography too create something totally new and original, the downside to all this is to get that perfect photo it requires a good amount of preparation, execution, and trial and error.

For my painting with light photo’s I was thinking too abstract, and complex like bill-boards eating people, and souls flying away from people’s bodies, but I had no clue how to execute any of these ideas. Until math, second period I pull out my math textbook and there it is just a simple trail of light.

When I was looking at this textbook cover I assumed that the light they used was just a bike with a flashlight on it, so I took this Idea and gave it my own spin, this is the result.



When it was dark enough to take my photo's this was not the same "model" I used, I got larger more powerful LED's, more tape, and two friends to ride these things while I take these photo's;

ISO 100 - f/22 - 71s
My first photo actually turned out quite well, and with little difficulty besides orchestrating my light beams to successfully make this pattern without crashing into each other. 
For the rest of the night I continued to take photo's in a similar way, with no real directions for my light beams. After a few runs the LED flashlights taped to the longboards began to fall off causing interruptions to otherwise steady line of light, by then it was too late for me to keep shooting.









 I really enjoyed getting the chance to experiment with this alternate style of photography, It helped me to understand the full depth of the medium that is photography and just how endless the possibilities of manipulating and capturing light can be. 




No comments:

Post a Comment